Hey You!

My photo
Jakarta, Indonesia
a sucker for city lights.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

This I Believe

"This I Believe is an international organization engaging people in writing and sharing essays describing the core values that guide their daily lives. More than 90,000 of these essays, written by people from all walks of life, are archived here on our website, heard on public radio, chronicled through our books, and featured in weekly podcasts. The project is based on the popular 1950s radio series of the same name hosted by Edward R. Murrow"

(This following essay is my personal "This I Believe" that I submitted to my English class with Mrs. Amy Thivierge as the teacher)

I believe in trying.

Before I’m applying to my exchange students program, it took me a long time to decide whether to apply or not. I spent so much time thinking about it; all I did was busy counting the consequences, calculating chances, and wondering every possibilities. What will happen if I fail? If I get accepted and need to leave my life, am I ready for it? All those things floated in my mind for weeks until I came up with absolute decision: Why don’t I just try?

Then here I am, sitting in my room, where I can see the snow from my window and listening to my host family’s conversation out in the kitchen. Now I’m wondering what would it be if I didn’t try? I wouldn’t be here, in the United States, and met all the amazing people and got all the unbelievably great experiences. I realized that my worries before I decided are normal, but still, it shouldn’t let the fear interfere my decision.

Taking decision to finally try to do something is like the moment when you’re standing in the edge of the pool and thinking: Should I jump or not? Some people will take a moment to think, and some other will just jump. Some will refuse to jump; some will finally jump after thinking for hours. And they end up the same; just in the same pool, but only the matter of time. So why do we want to waste our time to worrying so much?

Now I realized that worrying so much isn’t worth my time. It is a part of me, it’s natural to worry about things, but I’ve learned that I will never know if I never try. Besides, chances won’t come twice; I will never know when I will get another chance to do this thing again. Failure and mistakes; I decided not to let them have too much space inside my brain. Failure and making mistakes is humane. Nothing to be ashamed for; at least I’ve tried. I took one step forward than them who didn’t try at all. The first time I made mistake is a fault, but the second time is a choice. I believe in trying.

(Feel free to check the official website; thisibelieve.org)

Cheers!

1 comment:

Bangquito said...

I Believe in fairy,
hahahah

Niceeee one nad, asik banget kayaknya disana.